Dave CROCKER wrote:

> Barry Leiba wrote:
>> 1. Crypto suite X had been seriously cracked, such that an attacker
>> could, at least in some cases, create a valid suite-X signature on his
>
> Is there any experiential basis to motivate our having to worry about this
> attack vector?  In other words, do we have good reason to believe that this
> threat vector is significant?

I think this one's a yes - given the developments with hash collisions
in the last few years. While DKIM signatures are much more ephemeral
than other kinds (e.g. signatures on certificates) I think we should
still be concerned about this. There's also a non-security reason here,
the NIST recommendations and hash competition (that various folks will
follow) do mean that we are very likely to want to migrate from
rsa-sha256 to rsa-sha3 (or maybe something ECC based) within the next
few years. So we should try to make that transition easy (or at
least not make it hard).

> Is there a history of worrying about this attack vector, among other efforts
> do standards work with similar technology?  In other words, are we the only
> ones
> worrying about it, or is this a common concern amongst experts?

Yes. TLS authenticates the ciphersuite negotiation via the final
handshake message. Less convincingly, there was a huge effort to
get negotiation right for GSSAPI with SPNEGO and S/MIME has
its capabilities stuff. Bidding down attacks are things that
folks do want to prevent or detect.

> Is the mechanism for "protecting" against this attack vector in DKIM anything
> like the mechanisms used in those other, similar technologies?  In other
> words,
> if other experts have worked on this, have they solved in a similar way?

Sort-of. I think DKIM differs in this in that our default
key management is less secure, but were DNSSEC to happen, then I
think that inclusion of the k= & h= fields in key records wouldn't
be that conceptually different from how TLS handles ciphersuite
negotiation.

> If the above 3 questions do not have a clear "yes" answer, then we ought to
> treat DKIM's effort on this topic as highly suspect.

I don't think 4871 is highly-suspect in this (or actually any)
respect.

> Anything other than 3 yes' means that we're attempted to solve a problem that
> other experts do not see as a problem, or that they have not tried to solve
> before or that they have solved in a different way.  In other words, to some
> potentially high degree, we are hanging out entirely on our own.
>
> My own sense of security work by a crew of folk that have some security
> expertise, but is not dominated by it, is that it should aggressively avoid
> being creative...

Totally agree there.
S.