On 5/10/2010 12:43 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
>> On 5/7/2010 10:07 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
>>> No, all it says is "we signed this mail." A signer with a good
>>> reputation
>>> will presumably rarely sign mail where the From: address actively
>>> misidentifies the sender, but that's a second order effect.
>> "misidentifies" covers quite a lot.
>
> I used it to mean that the From: address doesn't have a reasonable
> connection to any of the persons or entities that composed the message,
> for some reasonable definition of reasonable.
>
>> If I send mail from bbiw.net (well, actually, sbh17.songbird.com is my
>> standard MSA) but label the From: field as being gmail.com, that's
>> reasonable to classify as "misidentifying" the From: address, since
>> songbird has nothing to do with gmail.
>
> No, that's not misidentification. It may be something else, but we need
> more precise terminology, preferably that avoids loaded terms like
> "forgery".

Your restricted model is entirely reasonable, but it does not match what many
others in the community appear to mean.  Note the frequent (mis-) use of the
word "forged".  So we need to be especially careful when introducing a
pejorative label.  In particular, we need to be careful about the likely
understanding of that label by readers.

>> Operator-based signing is typically meaning that the message was
>> posted by an authorized user. There's absolutely no implication that
>> the operator checked or enforced the contents of the From: field.
>
> That entirely depends on what you know about the signer. Two of the
> largest signers, Google and Yahoo, mechanically check that the user
> receives mail at the From: address. One of the smallest, me, knows his
> users well enough to be confident that they won't do hostile address
> fakery even though I don't enforce anything mechanically beyond adding
> trace headers. I have other opinions about other signers.

Requiring that verifiers know extensive details about the signing policies for
all of the signatures they see doesn't scale.

> So here's a scenario. Let's say I run a political satire mailing list,
> to which members contribute wacky messages pretending to be from famous
> people like bi...@microsoft.com or sa...@elysee.fr. I use some technique
> not visible in the outgoing mail to ensure that the contributions are
> from list members (perhaps a password that's stripped out.) Of course
> the list puts a shiny new DKIM signature on all its mail. The list is
> triple opt-in with a cherry on top, and the subscribers await each list
> message all agog. Filter that.

I wouldn't want to.  I /like/ that sort of mail...

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking