--On 7 June 2010 17:37:14 +0200 "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk-li...@cybernothing.org>
wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Brett McDowell wrote:
>
>> But I've seen several posts to this list suggesting life is better if
>> such messages simply never reach the subscribers' inbox.  To be honest,
>> I don't recall the motivation for that position.
>
> There've been a couple of studies where users were discovered to be going
> into their spam folder, and falling for bank phishing messages there.

At Sussex, we made the decision a few years back that we either deliver
mail to the INBOX, or reject it at SMTP time.

A spam folder, for many users, is equivalent to a blackhole. Rejecting at
SMTP time, in theory, allows the sender of a false positive to choose
another contact method.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex