On 10/13/2010 2:27 PM, Jeff Macdonald wrote:
> DKIM seems to make assurances to message integrity. But it
> doesn't. I think the reason why many think it does is because of the
> body hash. It is trying to do to much. It should just provide an
> identifier that can be verified. Instead of using the body for
> hashing, use the Message-ID header along with the Date header and just
> hash that. That way most folks would understand DKIM is just providing
> an Identifier.

my goodness, but your version of ranting is far too mild and reasonable.

which is not to say i agree with you about tossing out the body hash.

Although DKIM is not trying to "protect" the message, it /is/ trying to reduce
the ability to take a valid use for one message and apply it to an invalid use
with another.

 From a mathematical standpoint, your suggestion is quite reasonable, given
that
message ids are supposed to be unique, etc.  But the question is whether a
verifying can know whether a signature is being replayed -- that is whether it
is being reapplied to a different message.

Verifiers do not track message ids.  So they can't detect a new use.

Using the body hash is a convenient hack that is likely to make it nearly
impossible to apply valid use of a DKIM identifier to different content.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking