Do Alpine or Thunderbird or whatever else do anything special now when a
message is signed, whether or not the signature(s) pass or fail?

Current modules that don't do the kind of enforcement people are demanding and
that isn't exacerbating anything.  When they add DKIM support in some way, I
imagine those MUAs will become aware of the problem and do the "something else"
you're talking about.

I'm fine with providing some informative guidance about that to MUAs, but
that's different than telling verifiers that they are required to enforce
something that's not specifically within their scope.