On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:27:29 +0100, Jeff Macdonald
<macfisher...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If we can extract DKIM from the equation entirely and the problem
>> remains, how is it a DKIM problem?
>

> I agree with this.
>
> And even if there was a DKIM signature, it is the BAD GUY'S signature,
> which should cause it to go into the SPAM folder, with a large
> phishing warning.

No, the Bad Guy has used a throwaway domain which has not yet made its way
into any blacklist the SPAM checker might have been using.

> <rant>
> Count me as one of those who was confused early on about what DKIM
> provides. DKIM seems to make assurances to message integrity. But it
> doesn't. I think the reason why many think it does is because of the
> body hash. It is trying to do to much. It should just provide an
> identifier that can be verified. Instead of using the body for
> hashing, use the Message-ID header along with the Date header and just
> hash that. That way most folks would understand DKIM is just providing
> an Identifier.
> </rant>

I have much sympathy with this rant; I think the body could have been
handled much better. But it ain't going to change, and Barry has now
declared it OT.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: ...@clerew.man.ac.uk      snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.