Scott Kitterman wrote:
> +1.
>
> Just as a note of clarification, SPF doesn't prefix TXT records, but I don't
> think that affects the analysis.

The Network Solutions DNS Records manager does not allow you to add a
TXT record without a sub-domain, so to add one, you have to add *
which when saved, it shows up as

        * (All Others)

for the sub-domain column.

For the new DKIM customer, we were assisting in adding the DKIM public
key and ADSP records and this conflicted with the lookups return SPF
records for all DKIM/ADSP record queries.

Clearly, this is a problem with Network Solutions web tool.

What I proposing is provide insight into potential conflicts with
existing SPF (or other records) that might have a wild card associated
with it.

The audience will include ISPs that need guidelines as well and
already have a SPF wizard or something or only allow * sub-domains to
get a non-prefix domain query.   These notes will help provide them
and future implementations of DKIM DNS records support the insight to
do it correctly.

I hope DKIM is about catering to all sites small to large, not just
large systems with DBA and DNS administrators.  The insights should
help adoptions without pains.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com