Douglas Otis wrote:

>>> Changing a reference of RFC3490 to RFC5890 already represents an
>>> incompatible change.

>> Your assertion is noted.

John, it is correct to reference RFC5890 but for any implementations
that currently have RFC3490 support there is a conflict verifiers need
to be aware of. A proposed text change addendum as follows is both
protocol consistent and provides compatibility insight:

     Internationalized domain names MUST be represented as A-labels
     as described in [RFC5890].  For public key lookups, verifiers
     MUST transform internationalized domain names already encoded as
     described in [RFC3490] to A-labels.

or in less text without a RFC3490 reference:

     Internationalized domain names MUST be represented as A-labels
     as described in [RFC5890] for both DKIM-Signature domain values
     and for Public Key DNS lookups.

> The desire is not to increase anyone's workload, but the reasons for
> developing DKIM will become even more apparent during the introduction
> of UTF-8.

IMO, if someone begins to start thinking about UTF8 support for DKIM,
they will need to view this expensive revamping for their general
5321/5322 mail I/O operations.  In the mean time, AFAMUG, RFC5890
offers an isolated DKIM transition for implementing in operations not
yet wrapped with Unicode support.

> Unfortunately, the current DKIM specifications ignore
> important aspects about where A-Labels are to exist within a protocol.

Are we not specifying all the IDNs within RFC5322 including
DKIM-Signature, in particular d=, s= and i=?

> A-Labels are NOT intended for human consumption.

+1, neither is Unicode outside their locales. But displays are
expected to translate all that for human viewing.

> DKIM also failed to ensure resources are only obtained at valid
> A-Labels or NR-LDH defined locations.

Does that mean we need affirmation if we are just talking about
A-label as input for DNS lookups only.

> A significant security flaw, especially when definitions of
> valid A-Labels has significantly changed for the better.

Lost me.  Better for security? Or worst?  Or better for something
else, worst for security?

--
HLS