On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:24:26 +0100, Hector Santos <hsan...@isdg.net> wrote:

> Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>
>>> Oops, this is a separate issue.  But I hope it's also not
>>> contentious.
>>> [...]
>>
>> Since I'm not exactly an EAI/IDNA expert...
>>
>>> The only thing that's not obvious to me is whether the hash functions
>>> should hash the bytes of the UTF-8, or convert them to UTF wide
>>> characters and hash those.  Depending on the way the MTA is written,
>>> either might seem more "natural", but I'm inclined to say you hash the
>>> UTF-8 bytes because the SHA-1 and SHA-256 hash functions are defined
>>> on bytes, not wider things.
>>
>> Can you suggest the exact change to make here,
>> or confirm there isn't one?
>
> Murray,
>
> I viewed this as another layer issue. Adding a DKIM-Signature: header
> is no different than any other RFC5322 header where UTF8 conversion is
> already a consideration.  But maybe to provide guidance for what parts
> of the DKIM-Signature RFC5322 header needs to be UTF8 ready, I think
> that might the following text is useful.
>
>      RFC5322 messages should be prepared with UTF-8 readiness
>      when required. For the DKIM-Signature RFC5322 header,
>      implementators SHOULD focus on tags d=, s= and i= to be
>      UTF8 ready.

Is there anything that actually needs to be done with a UTF-8 header that
is not covered already in our DKIm spec.?

The EAI effort, whilst still formally in the "experimental" stage, is on
the verge of becoming a Proposed Standard. Indeed, it may even get there
before we do. So we may as well ensure that DKIM is compatible with it;
otherwise we shall be asked to make it compatible during AUTH48.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: c...@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.