The fact that the standard itself does not explicitly go into the "first
party" stuff was a compromise. It doesn't mean that the concept isn't
out there. The logic you are laying out for multiple signatures is
exactly the same flaw that SIDF has where it demands that if a
(arbitrary) Sender field is present then that is the PRA. It allows
attacks to game the system. By allowing someone to break the original
signature and then sign with a signature from some arbitrary domain (I
think we are all aware of the concept of throw away domains) that
passes, it is game the system time.

> >> b) If nothing verified and nothing tempfailed, report no
signatures.

> >> c) If nothing verified and something tempfailed, return a hint to
> try
> >> again later.
> >
> > And what exactly might this hint be? (not being sarcastic, probably
> just
> > dense). How much later? How many retries? How likely is the verifier
> > be willing or able to hold large queues to accommodate tempfails? If
> > not, is this a potential attack vector against the receiver?
>
> Those are all reasonable questions, but I don't think this is a change
> from 4871, which suggests using SMTP 451 codes to force the sender to
> resend the message later, for whatever the sender's interpretation of
> later is.  Can't get much vaguer about retry strategy than that.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about how the DKIM evaluation
is occurring after acceptance by a border MTA in many environments. Do
we really want an architecture that does what you are saying?

> >> d) If at least one signature verified and at least one tempfailed,
> uh,
> >> flip a coin and either report success or a try again hint.
> >
> > Ugh, no way on d). For multiple signatures where one or more is a
> > tempfail, it should really be that each one gets its own output
> (signing
> > domain plus result) and leave it to the consumer of the output to
> > determine what to do. What happens if you have 3 signatures? It gets
> > messy real quick.
>
> The current language in 4871 says in more than one place that you
> ignore
> signatures that don't verify.  It also contradicts itself by
suggesting
> that you don't quite ignore a tempfail but somehow arrange to try
again
> later.
>
> If we require a verifier to report the details of signatures that
don't
> verify, that strikes me as a significant incompatible change.

Coin flipping is a rigorous scientific method of achieving consistent
outcomes.

I'm beginning to wonder if DKIM is truly ready for standards track. I'd
take a significant change that simply says report details including ones
that fail to verify over coin flipping and contradictory language.

Mike