Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 4/28/2011 12:49 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
>> To illustrate this in RFC5585 by labeling the inputs required:

>>                       |- RFC5322 Message
>>        +--------------------------------+
>>        |  Message Signed?               |
>>        +-----+--------------------+-----+
>>              |yes                  |no
>>              |                     |
>>              |SDID/AUID            |AUID
>>              |                     |
>>              V                     |
>>        +-------------+ SDID/AUID   |
>>        |  Verify     +---------+   |
>>        |  Signature  |         |   |
>>        +------+------+         |   |
>>           pass|            fail|   |
>>               |SDID            |   |
>>               V                |   |
>>        +-------------+         |   |
>>        | Assessments |         |   |
>>        |             |         V   V
>>        +--------+----+      +-------+
>>            |    |          / Check   \
>>            |    +--SDID-->/  Signing  \
>>            |             /   Practices \
>>            |            +-------+-------+
>>            |                    |
>>            V                    V
>>

>> As you can see, per RFC5585, both SDID and AUID are mandatory DKIM
>> outputs.
>

> You are confusing DKIM requirements with ADSP requirements.

Please respect there is no intent to do this.

Rather I am highlighting the limited DKIM output requirements is
outdated and  insufficient to support today's (extended) DKIM mail
integration and security needs outlined by WG consensus-built RFC
documents:

      DKIM Security Assessment  (RFC4686)
      DKIM Service Architecture (RFC5585)
      DKIM Deployment Guideline (RFC5863)
      DKIM Signing Practices    (RFC5617)
      DKIM Reporting using A-R  (RFC5451)

Here is a way to view the old vs new design dilemma:

      SMTP vs ESMTP (Extended SMTP)

We have decades of engineering foresight to not repeat completing a
protocol design with an outdated limited output scope especially when
extensions are already available.

While I am in no way suggesting RFC4871Bis should be updated as an
EDKIM (Extended DKIM) standard,  we should recognized that DKIM-BASE
has limited usefulness with its limit outputs requirements.   As we
know today, AUID should not be excluded from the output summary.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com