That's probably true, but that is also completely different from necessitating
a change to the mandatory output.

> > Providing a reference to RFC5585 may not be a bad idea though,
> > and RFC4686 and RFC5863 as well.  Perhaps somewhere in Section 1?
>
> Section 1 as in Introduction? or Note to the Editor?

The editor note, quite obviously, is temporary.

> For an introduction, I think that will work. Most people perusing a
> document like quick references to overviews with "pictures" very
> helpful.
>
> How will you state it?

How about:

1.  Introduction

[...]

1.1.  DKIM Architecture Documents

Readers are advised to be familiar with the material in [RFC4686] and [RFC5585]
and [RFC5863], which respectively provide the background for the development of
DKIM, an overview of the service, and deployment and operations guidance and
advice.

1.2.  Signing Identity

[...]