Charles Lindsey wrote:

> On Mon, 23 May 2011 03:50:06 +0100, Hector Santos <hsan...@isdg.net> wrote:
>>
>> It would of been nice to have some DKIM-Signature flag that might
>> indicate the Content-Transfer-Encoding, i.e.:
>>
>>     et="base64"   <--- copy of the top level Content-Transfer-Encoding
>
> Could you get the effect of this by including the
> Content-Transfer-Encoding header in the 'h=' and doing some fancy checks
> involving the 'bh=' (to detect whether it was the body or the headers or
> both that were broken)?

Using the currently defined standard specification, the only way to do
a reliable check is to add the z= header which contains the values of
the h= header fields.  However, having z= is more for testing, can be
exploited in some fashion and adds ugly DKIM-Signature bandwidth
overhead.  So its not a good idea, I think, for everyday usage.

But since DKIM is "flexible" :),  adding maybe an et= tag should not
break the system allowing for exploration to see if that could help
lower failures for some streams.

In this test case with the gmail.com message submitted to a non-DKIM
aware list, it would of succeeded knowing the original top level
encoding type and using l= if destined to a list.

I think the other side point in my OP, is that it didn't seem it was
necessary to base64 the message content.  I saw no 8 bit characters
when I decoded it - just plain 7bit ascii.  So it seems some systems
are always doing it regarding of 7/8 bit.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com