I didn't posit this as a problem. Others did. I jumped in at the point that you
said s/mime was already a solution, with a message that proved otherwise.

It would be better to say that if there were a problem, and people wanted to solve it, the pieces are all there with S/MIME. MUAs all know how to add S/MIME sigs to outgoing mail. Mailman, which must be the most popular MLM around, wraps the message body so that it preserves the signature. And some MUAs even look inside the wrapper to recognize and verify the wrapped signatures.

But a lot of MUAs don't, the ones that do make little effort to separate the signed from the unsigned text, and as far as I can tell, until I started poking at it last month, nobody knew or cared.

So, again, can someone tell me why this is so urgent a problem that we need to add special code to every DKIM signer and verifier in the world to solve it?

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",