On 26 May 2011, at 14:40, John R. Levine wrote:

>>> So this tells me that existing mail software doesn't try very hard to
>>> recover signatures from modified messages, even for simple changes that
>>> don't need any guessing or heuristics to undo.
>>
>> My client found the signature, otherwise it would not have commented on its
>> validity. It just wasn't able to verify it.
>
> Hmmn.  How does it like the copy of this message sent to you directly? The
> signature was definitely good on the way out.

That looks fine.

>> I think the long term solution would be for mailing list software to stop
>> mucking around with the message body, and for MUAs to work better at
>> exposing meta data added by lists (like the list-unsubscribe header).
>
> Actually, I think the long term solution is for people to stop pretending
> there is a problem.  Can you describe the operational problems you're
> experiencing here?  "Broken signatures" is a fact, not a problem. Mailing
> lists have worked quite well for 40 years with no signatures at all, making
> all sorts of random changes to the mail, so it has to be something more than
> that.

I didn't posit this as a problem. Others did. I jumped in at the point that you
said s/mime was already a solution, with a message that proved otherwise.

I also said that - if there's a problem with packages arriving broken - then
the solution lies in making the paths smoother rather than increasingly fancy
suspension.

> Also, if you're suggesting changes to list software, please explain why they
> would have greater benefits than the obvious and simple one to have lists add
> their own signature on the way out.

Well, I guess that there must be use cases where one would want to verify that
the sender's message was unaltered. I accept that they're less common than with
non-list mail, though.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex