On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:44:39 MST, Vernon Schryver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  said:
> Didn't I see mention of something called an "external body"?  That notion
> avoids the scaling problems of requiring that all spool directories and
> all destination mail directories be large enough when many people decide
> to forward a 28 MByte Good Times virus.

message/external-body dates all the way back to 1992, in RFC 1341 (the MIME
Dark Ages).  At the time, it seemed like a very good way to address the problem
in classic computer science style - instead of passing the data structure,
pass a pointer to it.

Unfortunately, for most of the Internet users of today, the availability
of long-term stable externally-reachable storage is low enough that you
usually end up dereferencing a null pointer.....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst

PGP signature