In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt
.edu typed:

 >>--==_Exmh_-374731876P

 >>a) Do you have an incoming anonymous FTP drop *of your own*?
 >>b) Are you willing to set up incoming FTP for one file?
 >>c) What if you're one of the millions of people who use an ISP that
 >>doesn't provide FTP drops?

plenty of ISPs offer free web space (e.g. 5M is typical) - for a file
of size nMbytes , all you
need is to get n/5 internet accounts , run split on the file - hey you
could use slightly more (e..g n) and
even run a fancy layered fec dithering crypto algorithm
and have a file that noone could _remove_ without removing more than
4n sites - its called an "eternity" service and is a possible very
valuble service indeed (reliable and also hard for centralized
authorities to attack)

 >>OK, that doesn't seem to be viable. Let me store it and you pick it up:
 >>d) I happen to be lucky enough to have my own workstation.  However,
 >>you can't FTP to it because I have FTP disabled.  If I don't have an FTP
 >>drop, you can't pick it up.
 >>e) If I didn't have a Web page area big enough to hold the file,
 >>how would I send it to you?  Remember that many freebie sites put a 5M or 10M
 >>quota on the users...
 >>
 >>Of course, the right answer is something like this:
 >>
 >>1440 SIFT/UFT: Sender-Initiated/Unsolicited File Transfer. R. Troth.
 >>     July 1993. (Format: TXT=17366 bytes) (Status: EXPERIMENTAL)
 >>
 >>However, there's few enough sites running it that it's not really an
 >>alternative.  Heck, I *know* Rick Troth, and I'm not even running one,
 >>mostly due to a lack of anybody else for it to talk to.
 >>
 >>Perhaps it's time to dust that RFC off and see what can be done with it...
 >>

 >>--
 >>                             Valdis Kletnieks
 >>                             Operating Systems Analyst
 >>                             Virginia Tech
 >>

 >>--==_Exmh_-374731876P
 >>
 >>-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
 >>Version: 2.6.2
 >>
 >>iQCVAwUBOFVSLtQBOOoptg9JAQHU/QQAs9Co7vgq6IElSjIlizIJD9i+vA4VjhNS
 >>cObsuiF0rwXHoYdrTlyJKm0FO4Yrs+J5CpPKGRL3ky6sR7FaD32lhg0PKZBlTC4s
 >>GkVcNNp8mJoYOIcscf07bRtn0GzyJHtzRxpqaVbK9k0whb5j/Or91CTdnEPU5OAS
 >>obDidnOhNfA=
 >>=KdSF
 >>-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
 >>
 >>--==_Exmh_-374731876P--