It could be argued that the 'correct' solution to large mail messages is for
the 'system' (mail exchanger)  to handle all messages the same from the user
perspective but to sort the messages based on size and transfer then over
more than one smtp session.  Traffic filters/routing policies could then
ensure that smaller messages are sent quickly and larger messages delayed
until bandwidth becomes available.  The mail could then be split into
different pop mailboxes (normal and bulk) for later retrieval or the mail
tool could look at the headers before download.

Its not an original idea and I am sure that a lot of ISPs do it but simple
solutions can get forgotten at times.

The point is that whilst educating users is a _GOOD_ thing. Human nature
means that users will look for the easy solution and that means that they
will find a single method for sending attachments and stick to it.

Anyway how do you define large, Ten years ago it was 64K, now it is
10+(?)MB, next year ?

The solution must be scalable with the network infrastructure which means
that the ISPs/Gateways should be responsible for implementing size-based
routing policies.

Leave the users out of it, many of them have enough trouble setting up the
existing mail options. Does anyone really want the users on a network
defining the size-based routing policy on a per desktop basis ?

Just my opinion, flame me if you want :)

Andy Fletcher