On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 06:00:09PM -0600, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Customers are generally much happier when you give them what they ask for
> instead of forcing them to use something else; if people want to be able to
> mail full DVDs to each other, it's our job to determine how to make that
> technically feasible and (hopefully) efficient.

To switch analogies from sidwalks back to the postal service: therefore,
it is the postal services job to determine how to send pianos from your
mailbox...

But it seldom does any good to push analogies too far :-)

SMTP is not a file transport protocol, and it will always be less
efficient at transporting files than a protocol that is designed for
that purpose.  Not to say that some new protocol couldn't be designed
that had the desirable addressing features of email, and the efficiency
of FTP.  But that would be a new protocol...

Kent

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain