At 00.45 -0500 99-12-12, Dick St.Peters wrote:
> I wouldn't bet on that.  Sometime in the mid 80's I wrote a pair of
> scripts to automate breaking a file into roughly 50 KB pieces, sending
> them by UUCP mail, and reassembling them.  GE Medical Systems used it
> to ship around MRI images.

This (which is supported by ESTMP nowadays) does not solve
some of the possible problems. The load on the net and on
the user mailbox storage will be the same. Even worse. If I
get a large attachment, my e-mailer asks me if I want to
download it or not. If it is split into many small parts,
my e-mailer does not give me this option (but perhaps it
should?) The ESTMP extension for splitting large messages
is not supported by some email UA vendors.

Jacob Palme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/