At 09:28 AM 12/19/00 -0500, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>We can also end the de facto practice of
>using the sessions as tutorials and discontinue fancy prepared
>presentations of the material already in the I-Ds.  While
>tutorials are a fine thing, they are appropriate for USENIX
>or Interop, not IETF WG sessions, IMHO.

I tried doing this in my area when I was on the IESG.
It didn't work. The chairs and attendees want this stuff.

>        Further, I'd suggest that each area would have the
>option (discretion of the relevant ADs) of having a single
>Area Meeting someplace.  This would last only perhaps 2 days.
>It could be held at a rather larger number of venues
>(due to smaller attendance)

I do not believe that this would work. Too many people
just go to see what's going on and be there in case
"something important" happens. If you have a
meeting, they will go.

I believe that the only choices are
- limit attendance to "the right people" or
- accept the tourists and panda-watchers and
  that the IETF meeting has evolved.

Frank Kastenholz