Michael writes:

> Families are going toward a telephone per person
> with caller id and/or distinctive ring to figure
> out who should answer. That sure sounds like NAT
> to me!

How so?  Are they all using the same telephone number?

> They would take a phone number per person, but
> someone there aren't enough phone numbers available
> cheaply enough or a mechanism to communicate
> them to the end-node to make this work.

Where is this?

> My wife and I possess a total of 5 telephone
> numbers (counting mobile and pagers) because the
> phone company does not offer the equivalent
> of mobileIP.

So how is this anything like NAT?  NAT would be one telephone number.

> That works for some businesses perhaps. It fails
> in most white collar work.

It fails in all businesses, in this century.

> Ever try to get ahold of someone *AFTER THE
> RECEPTIONIST HAS GONE HOME*?

Ever try to connect to machine B when NAT insists in directing all incoming
connections to a given port on the one and only external IP address to machine
A?