From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Stephen Sprunk
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 5:29 PM
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand; Dean Anderson
Cc: Internet Engineering Task Force
Subject: Re: Response to complaint from Dean Anderson (fwd)

Thus spake "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I have replied that I do not see the merit to your complaint, and have

> NOT asked Rob Austein to change his address, have NOT asked ISC to
> change
their
> antispam policies, and have NOT asked SORBS to change ther listings -
> having concluded that none of these is the IETF's business.
>
> (the alternative - declaring that every antispam function of every
> system that is used by an IETF participant is a matter for the IETF to

> have an opinion on, and possibly work to have changed, every time it
> causes a message to bounce or be dropped - is simply not workable.)

While I disagree with Dean in general and also with most of his current
argument, I think it is a reasonable request that IETF "officials" be
given an @ietf.org email alias and that those aliases be published for
use in situations such as this.

It's probably going too far to require sending mail from those aliases;
despite Dean's faults, he's smart enough to use the published alias if
he gets a bounce from someone's personal or work address.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov