* Iljitsch van Beijnum:

> On 14 feb 2008, at 21:49, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> The prevailing assumption is that IPv6 end nodes will be globally
>> addressable for practical purporses.  I think this is a very unlikely
>> outcome.
>
> Are you saying that there will be IPv6 NAT?

Is a node globally adressable if it never receives any packets you (or
others) send?  From an upper-layer protocol point of view, I'd say it
isn't.

> And that we should design protocols running on top of IPv6 to take NAT
> into account?

These protocols need to take into account that if there's a (virtual)
connection between two hosts, it's still not possible to establish
arbitrary other (virtual) connections between them.

> If yes on both, how can we do that without a NAT specification so that
> the IETF can design protocols to work with NAT and vendors can build
> NATs that work with IETF protocols?

I think the NAT question is a bit of a red herring.  I suppose that
anything that is broadly NAT-compatible increases its chances it will
work well on actually deployed networks, be it IPv4, IPv6, or something
else.  However, I don't think we will see as much highly dynamic NAT
(including port translation) on IPv6 as on IPv4.