A good URL for the NSF statistics:

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/wmpd/

Also, there's extensive information and analysis about the
educational pipeline in the US (for all groups, and including K12) in
the 2010 American Association of University Women report "Why So Few?"

www.aauw.org/learn/research/upload/whysofew.pdf

I'd be interested to learn of studies of the CS workforce outside the
US.  Are there recruitment and attrition problems everywhere?

Allison