IMHO it is the chairs' responsibility to listen to the audio recording
and produce minutes from that (or at least check the scribe's minutes
against the audio recording). I've done this in the past (full
disclosure: not always) and it is a lot of work.

I strongly disagree.

Chairs have a high workload already. A strength of a working group needs to be its ability to distribute work amongst participants.

If a working group cannot obtain the services of a participant willing to take notes and be responsible for getting wg review of them, then the wg has bigger problems.

d/

ps. I'll repeat that I think f2f needs to be essentially irrelevant to the assessment of wg consensus, except perhaps as an efficiency hack that permits more terse exchanges on the mailing list.
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking