On Mar 25, 2013, at 12:14 AM, Carsten Bormann <c...@tzi.org> wrote:

>> Further, the IETF should acknowledge that the contents of Acknowledgments
>> sections varies widely between RFCs. Some are fairly complete, some are
>> fairly vague and incomplete, and some are between.
>
> Bingo.  It is up to the sole discretion of the document authors what they
> want to list in the Acknowledgements section.

+/- 0. For personal documents, it is up to the author; for WG documents, it is
up to the WG. Some WGs are acknowledgment-heavy, some are not. I have been in
WGs which used "you might get listed in the Acknowledgements" as a tool to get
better reviews. It seemed cheesy, but it worked.

> The contents of the Acknowledgment section is about as much subject to WG
> consensus as the authors' street addresses.

Disagree. WG documents are WG documents. If the author/editor doesn't want to
do what the WG consensus is about the document, the author/editor can walk away.

--Paul Hoffman