Another study in that single track thing.

Well today we were listed for 1500 on DCMEGL; that's Dogcatch MEGL. We were
vanned to Kankakee to get the train and wondering all the way there, how it
only got to there with the crew being on duty at 0800. More on that later.

We arrived at 1625 to find the 6137/6127 with 50 cars about 3000 feet long.
Never did get a breakdown of it. Charlie called Chicago South and the lovely
Jennifer informed us we would be there awhile.

First on the hit parade was GLCE with the 1024/1028/10xx (missed those last
two digits) and 145 cars. Next came Amtrak 391 with engine 815 and 4 cars.
Then along came CLME with 6126/6010/UPSDMAC 853x dead in tow and around 100
cars. In the meantime, CPCH had headed into Kankakee siding behind us. We
departed at 1800. CPCH was on our block. "More trains faster...."

Before GLME reached us, he headed into Peotone Siding to let 391 around him
there.

The Markham Local was in the clear at "the Park" and was waiting for
everybody. He went on to eventually die at Flossmoor. The Kankakee Switcher
was working a steel plant in Bourbonnais (not Birmingham) and was in the
clear there at a non-electric locked switch, so every southbound had to
proceed at 20 mph over that switch. Helluva a way to railroad.

When we first arrived at our train, IO-2 was passing. The crew from MEGL was
operating it. Apparently, this train was really late today and IO-5's crew
didn't have time to bring it north, so MEGL's crew was snagged for it.
That's how we got MEGL.

We headed north for Markham, arriving at 1835 and got in rather quickly. We
swapped our power for the 6002/1016 and picked up 56 more cars. We left at
2015 with 45x61, 7530 tons and 6298 feet. Being that we had no set-out
there, our dwell time was reduced drastically. We were beginning to think we
might have a great trip. But alas, the railroad gods were angered by this
thought and we paid dearly, again. That's what we get for thinking.

We had to stop at 39th St and camp out for 40 minutes waiting for Amtrak 392
to pass. We had to wait because we had to pick-up some coal out of 31st St
yard to take to Glenn with us. Being the curve at Clark Street is so tight
going north from Chicago District #1 to the Air Line, engines pulling cars,
even passenger trains are not allowed to proceed this way. Most of the time
they derail. So, we waited while he caught us and crossed over to track 2 in
front of us. Then it was our turn. We picked up and headed to Clark St with
58x61 9253 tons and about 7000 feet. We were we were stopped for so long at
Clark, we looked into the prices of the new condos and lofts they are
building there. 1 hour and 20 minutes to be exact. I watch an inbound Metra
Rock Island with 3 coaches and the 207 for power. A little while later,
outbound 207 with 3 coaches came back by. Even later, an inbound with 4
coaches and the 102 came across. Finally, our turn. We got right across town
and pulled right into Glenn upon our arrival. We heard UP train IIMLB
(Intermodal, IMX-Long Beach) doubling up at IMX, but didn't see him. I heard
he had UP 3321 as his leader.

At LeMoyne we passed a Soo Line transfer with two GP38-2's around 40 cars
and a caboose. A CN 462 train coming from the BNSF was at 47 crossover to
pull by and cut off his Glenn Yard cars and had the train over to a GTW
crew. He had the CN 5616 plus another SD70/75I. No car count as I didn't see
most of it. We arrived at Glenn at 0015, got our train yarded, doubled in
and put the power away. Then, it was into another cab at 0115 and back to
Markham to tie up. This occured at 0220. When all was said and done, we were
on duty 11 hours 20 minutes. So much for the short day.

A couple of notes, our top locomotive guy called me today from Montreal. I
must rate! He told me another 6250 series SD40-3 is in the house at
Woodcrest getting rebuilt and will emerge in CN paint with CNIC stencilled
below the road number. Remember way back when I predicted this is what will
become of the IC? Just like the GTW. If I figure correctly, it should be the
6254. That should be the next one from Woodcrest. I wonder if the 6261 from
VMV will be the same or IC? There are supposed to be 8 more to be done this
year. All will come from the 6146 and up series of ex BN SD40-2's.

The SD40-3's done at VMV have a spotting feature, no Scotchlite safety
stripe along the front anti climb pilot.

As for renumbering, no IC units to be done at this point, but some GTW units
will be. He didn't indicate which ones though.

Also, spotted a single level coach under a tarp at Metra's KYD facility. No
clue as to what it might be.

Two different GTW Engineers tell me the newly opened single track is working
great. Now, everybody sits and waits, and then they all go dead. I guess the
purpose of this is to keep calling dogcatch crews to keep the extra board
turning in Battle Creek. We wouldn't want to deprive anybody of their right
to have no life and be out here all the time. If you get a day off once in
awhile, you will grow to expect it, and we can't have that now.

Rumors keep flying that Hunter Harrison is being wooed by the UP. If this
happens, he truly won't be missed here. First thing he'll do at UP is rip
out al the triple track they just put in, and then single track the rest of
the system. He loves to eliminate railroad. Then, he cut one engine of off
every train as they can still move it with two. So what if it is slower,
it's still moving right? I'll bet they miss him at the former BN like they
miss toothaches.

No word yet as to the Santa Claus train schedule or power. But, if I don't
get deathly ill again this year, I'll be one of the Engineers on it.

Tuch

 This is the Illiana Railroad Discussion List.
 For more info visit http://www.railcenter.com/illiana