Hi,

On May 12, 6:52 pm, Aneesh A <aneesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No proper software testing. That is the problem, As I think.

Yes. I agree. That would explain both the operability issues, security
issues and compatibility issues.

> On student side, no problem in using firefox.
> On administrator side, ie, teacher's verification, there appears no photos

Well, if we place a complaint we will have to be very specific- like a
bug report. Exact nature and ways to recreate it will have to be
specified. For example, if there is a firefox/W3C incompatibility, we
will have to show atleast one instance, or define exact problem. The
problem you mentioned could be an abnormal case. However, if it can be
recreated multiple times in multiple platforms (like different
systems, OSs or browser - even just 2 cases would suffice), it would
qualify as an ideal example.

> Also my friend tried to register, He got all SQL queries and all..

Exactly the kind of flaw that I am talking about. Whenever a server
returns an error message, either it should be a standard message (like
404 file not found) or a Web app exception handled message. Anything
else will contain sensitive information about internal system- like
Web server configuration, Database information, SQL code etc. Did I
mention that this server sent me back a portion of the web app's ASP
code when tested? Just more information for a cracker to further his
attempt. Anyway, that info about SQL is useful.

> To Vishak, You are pretty good hacker. (Didn't meant hacker).

I presume it was a compliment. Thanx! :D But I don't qualify as hacker
by either Free software community definition or security community
definition (cracker). My field is actually electronics & communication
engg. I know more about protocols, encryption and security than web
programming and designing. In other words, somebody else with
expertise in these will have to explain to the university why their
design is insane!

> I am not blaming ASP. I wished that it had been done using php.... that's all.

Technically, Java EE would satisfy these needs (security, scalability,
responsiveness) better than either ASP or PHP. It has FOSS
implementations too. But I know this is not point you make. This is
not the first time public agencies are taking a contradictory stance
on FOSS. Remember the e-VAT and PPT in +2 issues? We already have
along list of these. Its about time they get reminded about this.

> Also there is no password recovery form... It is a real problem as I
> explained in blog.

No arguments there. They simply didn't do their homework. To get
password back, we have to first face their apathy. Even then, they
just can't avoid accidentally causing password mixups!

Regards,
Gokul Das