Hi,

On May 14, 6:25 am, BINNY THOMAS <binn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hmm thats great. I am a former Loyolite too.

  Very nice to hear that! But its a natural tendency, since Loyola was
one of the earliest schools to experiment with Gnu/Linux systems.

  Anyway, I mentioned that I am a former Loyolite, just to reassure
Zacharia that help is at hand. In this group, we assume that all users
are proficient with gnu/linux and pass instructions accordingly. What
we forget is that some people who request help have just a few days of
experience with linux- and tend to become confused when we start
taking about mounting, devices, commands etc etc. Given enough time
(say, 1 to 2 months), they may become as proficient as any in the
group- may even become a valuable volunteer or a developer, but for
now we have to show enough patience with beginners in explaining the
basics and preventing them from getting nervous.

  It was just that I didn't want to perplex him at the beginning
itself. If you look at some fora, you can see experienced users
becoming intolerant of beginners, asking them to go and learn first.
Very often, they just drive beginners away from FOSS. Atleast, this
group's attitude is very beginner friendly. The fact is that many
questions raised in many fora including this have ready-made answers
if you know how to google diligently. But if people knew how to find
all answers and solve all problems themselves, they simply wouldn't
need fora like these. Sharing knowledge, ideas, experience and work is
the whole idea behind FOSS, isn't it?

Regards,
Gokul Das