On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:43 PM, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 19:26 +0530, Anoop Jacob Thomas wrote:
> > I think we lack CAD softwares.
>
> Of course, we have Qcad, but it is only 2D. We have Freecad:
> http://www.ar-cad.com/products/freecad.html
> but I am not sure how good it is. Perhaps, someone here can evaluate it.
> We also have a second Freecad at sourceforge:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/frenot...e-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page<http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page>
> which is still at version 0.8. Both are apparently Free (as in freedom).
> Perhaps, some of us could evaluate both and see whether they meet the
> demands of our engineering curricula.

I think Qcad can be used for simple 2D drawings. But it is not sufficient
for educational or professional use.
Going through the screenshots of FreeCAD, I think it is a better one, and
i'm going to try it.

There used to be a Linux version of Pro/Engineer, most popular mechanical
CAD software. But in the last two releases, the Linux version was excluded.