<quote>
Do you mean that your program did not finish and ate up all the CPU
time? Isn't that normal (unless you have a multi processor system and
the OS shares the load)?
Anyway, try the same program in C or C++ on the same machine and see how
that goes.
</quote>

A 1 billion iteration completed using a java program in around  4.5 seconds.
I should have mentioned it in the first posting itself.

In my experience user space code can bring down the entire OS,
(Solaris on sparc to be specific.)

below given is the code in python, I dont have the  guts to run it one
more time.
k=0
for x in range(1,100000000):
    k =k+1;

Not sure it this is a problem code. I am no python programmer.

Personally, I dont like python's Indentation stuff.May be its purpose
was to  force developers  to put Indentation, so as to  write more
readable code.