I think installing Karmic Koala right now is not that good idea for a
non-experienced user. Mainly if a guy is using Windows Xp/Vista, may
not use the multimedia alternatives in Linux as it is. Installing
VirtualBox seems to be ok with regular win users and in the end, bugs
in Karmic won't let anything work normally. Linux Mint is one of the
best tuned OS around, but using a Release-Candidate is not appreciated
since we are not gonna make a test-system or bug-trcker (Am I
wrong..?). If the PC has normal performance, it is much better to use
a stable system with some customisations. I suggest you to use Ubuntu
8.04LTS + Wine + Vbox + restricted-extras   OR   Mint-7 + Wine + VBox.
Install the Linux counterparts of the programs used by the person, in
the host Linux system. This will make the user to try out those
alternatives and he could avoid using Windows for normal applications.
When he exclusively needs Windows apps, he can try them on 'wine' or
even guest Windows :)

Please reply if something is wrong...
Regards to all...