2010/6/16 sonal jain <sonaljain....@gmail.com>:
> Raghu has already installed separate /boot in his friends Dell Laptop.
> The main problem he is mentioning is that after booting into Windows 7
> (which is recovery partition in Dell) it simply
> delete boot loader, now after restarting from windows 7, BIOS is finding any
> OS in system neither Windows nor Ubuntu.

A wild guess, if it is booting into the recovery partition, won't it
reset the system to factory defaults?

After grub install Windows entry in grub should be changed to point to
actual OS than the recovery partition. I guess grub is seriously
failing to properly detect other OSes. I face the same issue with
grub2 failing to detect fedora from debian.

Please post outputs of following commands (boot into live cd, you may
need to install ubuntu again and run these commands)

sudo fdisk -l
sudo os-prober
sudo linux-prober

Praveen