2009/8/7 Krishna <mail2kr...@gmail.com>:

> I also faced similar situation for a mini-project , they gave me a list of
> topic , all were quite old ideas like library management, reservation
> system, etc, But  I was allowed to do project in FOSS. Not all the lecturer
> may know about FOSS and stuff. but they should not think that students  are
> trying to cheat them with project which they don't know to evaluate.
This is quite an issue with some engineering colleges I heard of . I
think the best solution for them is to tie up / relate to NRCFOSS node
at AU-KBC which can help in judging the quality of the product .
> My
> lecturers encouraged me. but the external lecturer doubted me. I made a boot
> loader which looks like  grub and my friend made LTSP. The external doubted
> that both the projects are looking same. since I also used floppy disk to
> load my boot loader. The claim was "You both put the floppy and computer
> boots in Linux whats the difference?". The time given for explanation was
> not enough for us to explain the difference anyway i managed finally.
Cool :)
>so the
> students have to show their interest and their activeness to promote FOSS in
> their respective college, in their beginning semester,  at least HODs and
> lecturers will know your interest first and will be supportive in these kind
> of situations.
It need not be first year because after 12th the student may not be in FOSS.
The most *ideal* situation would be the college already using FOSS
electives 1 and 2 . I just *wish* that they are made compulsory and
with a lab/project course associated with it.

Yeah it's always good to keep nice ties and personal relations with
your department senior lecturers with the HOD because it make *lot* of
difference in support you get during projects .

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri