On 27 July 2010 22:26, Raja Subramanian <rajasuper...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/7/27 Balaji Narayanan (பாலாஜி நாராயணன்) <li...@balajin.net>
>> Beware of using Open DNS. Some of the edge caching systems relies on
>> routing you to a nearest server based on where the DNS query
>> originated from. And if you are using a Open DNS server, you might be
>> sent to a cache closer to the DNS server resulting in unwanted
>> latency.
>
> Great point.  But note that the problem is not specific to OpenDNS
> alone.  Any hosted DNS service has exactly the same problem.

True, but the assumption is that the ISP has some clue not to use a
DNS server half way across the globe.

> Perhaps the best option is to run bind as a caching name server
> for local users.  IIRC, the default config of every distro is to run
> bind as a pure cache only name server.

I am not sure. I run a ubuntu box and it does not have bind installed
by default.

> However, OpenDNS/GoogleDNS/etc have some neat technology
> deployed through UDP Anycast.  Good reading for any networking
> enthusiast.  And in any case, these services are far better than
> the DNS infrastructure provided by Indian ISPs.

For the technology wise, yes, but again, I assume that ISPs have
atleast a caching name server installed closer to you.

-balaji

--
http://balajin.net/blog
http://flic.kr/balajijegan