On 27 July 2010 23:24, Raja Subramanian <rajasuper...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/7/27 Balaji Narayanan (பாலாஜி நாராயணன்) <li...@balajin.net>:
>> I am not sure. I run a ubuntu box and it does not have bind installed
>> by default.
>
> I meant the bind config after you "apt-get install bind9".  CentOS/etc
> make it trivial "yum install caching-nameserver".

My point was that it does not install bind by default. Elsewhere in
thread I remember reading that ubuntu does it by default.

>> For the technology wise, yes, but again, I assume that ISPs have
>> atleast a caching name server installed closer to you.
>
> Fully agree on the importance of proximity to end users, and the
> limitations of OpenDNS/etc as a consequence.
>
> But other than proximity, ISP DNS has limited advantages.  Main
> disadvantages are lack of correctness, reliability and security where
> the OpenDNS/etc score high.  However, the privacy aspects of
> Google DNS is another can of worms.

I tend to disagree here. You are assuming that OpenDNS / Google DNS is
always reliable, correct and secure(???). If you dont trust your ISP
to provide the basic service that he is expected to provide reliably,
there is something wrong.

For the fact, I have been an Airtel Broadband user for over 5 years
now and I dont remember experiencing any major issues with their DNS.

Cheerio
-b-

--
http://balajin.net/blog