2010/12/16 Narendra Sisodiya <naren...@narendrasisodiya.com>

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Yogesh Girikumar <yogeshg1...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > 2010/12/16 Narendra Sisodiya <naren...@narendrasisodiya.com>

> > > Please do not promote non-FOSS stuff here !!
> >

> > Why not? This is a LUG and not an FSUG! :) And to promote Linux, it's not
> > all that bad to suggest proprietary s/w if there's no competent free
> > software alternatives IMHO. If I'm wrong please correct me. If the reply
> is
> > going to be long, we'll have it in a separate thread. :)
>

> There is foss alternate for everything , it may be superior or poor..
> LUG is just a name.. LUG is not for promoting Linux kernel.. Its not a
> kernel mailing list.. We deal with Open Technology..
> Yes, it is very bad idea for suggesting non-foss s/w.
> Strongly bad idea. one should be banned for promoting such software.

My views are different. You may be right saying there's a FOSS alternative
for everything. But a newbie who doesn't care about free software principles
will find it unappealing if you suggest a free software which is not mature
/ superior. You and I may be OK with it but he may not be. While it's a good
thing to promote free software, we must also keep in mind that the user just
needs to get his work done. If he's a FLOSS enthusiast, good. But if he is
not and is considering using Linux, then we mustn't discourage him by giving
him something that does not get his work done (in the name of promoting open
tech.). He may be put off. If I were a new Linux user, I'd like to be
suggested superior software (that works on Linux), regardless of whether or
not it's open source. I'd really like it if someone says "Hey, this is what
you need. It's proprietary. But there's also an interesting open source
alternative, you might want to check it out..". and then he can do the
evangelism stuff. This is from my experience with new Linux users.

Yogesh G.