Raman,

As usual your reply is wise and insightful. See comments inline.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Raman.P <raam...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> I wish all the people thinking of helping consider few things - which are sad
> reality of present education.
>
> 1.Out of 180 students atleast 170 will require spoon-feeding, hand-holding
> etc. There is no substitute to regular class-room+lab type of teaching for
> them.

Well however true this is, great things are done in life with great
difficulties, great suffering
 and great self confidence.

Outside agents cannot change the attitude of people.

> 2.Self learning is very minimal

Auto didacts like Kamaraj who was unlettered but had incredible common
sense is what
 is needed to do great things.

Common sense, common sense, common sense.

A practical approach towards everything is needed.

> 3.College Management expects us to be physically present.

This is not reqd of course. Remote help is useful but people like me
can certainly
 help students if they but care to visit my company's premises.

(Address is in my website in the signature)

> 4.First semester will require extensive teaching and hence physical presence
> will be required. We can form a team to teach different languages/tools.

I am not much interested in such plans. Carrying out a plan is very tough.

> 5.During actual projects personal contacts/interaction can be minimal.

Yeah but if the student in question is motivated and shows the right
Bhava towards learning
 then I don't mind spending my time...

> 6.Teaching over irc,email, forum etc., are ruled out. At the maximum they can
> be used for clearing doubts

I don't think so. E-mails are very useful for teaching. How much have
I learnt from LUG?

Thro' mails alone?

> What are the ways ILUGC members can contribute?
> 1.If you can spare time (3.30 to 5.30) take class even if it is for 1 or 2
> days please do. We will workout a timetable and post it.
> 2.Create project ideas in the wiki page. Also clearly state basic
> requirements. Since it is MCA projects need not be IEEE.
> 3.During project stage the hours will be flexible and probably we can ask
> students to meet the mentors at a place convenient to the mentor. So
> mentoring the project, in my opinion many can volunteer.

Well help comes only after you help yourself.

-Girish

--
G3 Tech
Networking appliance company