On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Arun Venkataswamy <arun...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For a remote data acquisition project, I need a Linux box connected to the
> internet through 3G. I have gone through list archives, but the threads are
> over a year old and want some current information. Is there any 3G service
> provider with:
>
>    - A modem which simply works out of the box. I will be
>    installing Debian base with no X and hence cannot use any GUI based
>    configuration tool which they might provide.
>    - Good upload speeds (at least 800 kbps)

UPDATE:

I got a Huawei E173 USB modem + BSNL 3G connection.
Works with Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Server after modifying modeswitch rules for
minor device ID.

Getting consistent download speeds of 400 kilo bytes / second.
Upload speed test with wput is showing only 26 kilo bytes / second. But I
suspect it is higher with other apps. Will post after checking this. Any
better way of testing upload speeds from the command line?

Regards,
Arun
http://wondroussky.blogspot.in/

"கற்றது கைமண் அளவு, கல்லாதது உலகளவு" - ஔவையார்
Known is a drop, Unknown is an ocean