On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Shrinivasan T <tshriniva...@gmail.com>wrote:

> When the experienced people are raising many issues and they want the list
> to be fully moderated,
> There won't be any discussion happening here.
>
> Need your ideas and thoughts to make our list even better, newbie friendly,
> filled with activities.
>
> Share your ideas in this thread.

1. We definitely need to be very newbie friendly. FOSS can be disorienting
to a newbie.
We should patiently help them get acquainted, and point them to useful
resources on the web.
A word to the wise is often enough.

2. We should treat this list as a community resource, like a river fresh
from the source ( no pun :).
If someone mistakenly pollutes the river, nothing needs to be done, as
civilized people realize their mistakes when corrected gently.
Yet, if someone is a habitual polluter of the shared river, and moderators
don't take action against them, then we are willingly agreeing to have
polluted river.
Please, use filters to deal with the pollution on an individual basis. We
are a polluter-tolerant community, and don't mind bad water quality for all.

3. Of course, allowing polluters means that newbies will always be
overwhelmed by the amount of noise.
Newbies will likely form the first-impression that FOSS is as half-baked as
the low-quality, inaccurate, non-fact-based, semi-technical,
NON-discussions that are posted to this list.
This is actually very bad for GNU/Linux in general.

4. We can actually do a lot better, for GNU/Linux, for this list, and for
anyone earnestly wanting to learn or share knowledge.
Diversity of ideas, opinions, speech, software, values, etc is a wonderful
thing. I believe that this Freedom can be balanced with a meritocracy.
All it takes is the will to remove polluters who have been warned several
times not to pollute.

5. If nobody has that will, then I will gladly help pollute this list,
until someone does.
Please use email filters if you would like to censor me.
I will be using Free Speech, and most people only want Free Software. :-)

Cheers,

- Ashwin.