Please check out the following links for MS equivalent(or
better)  applications on GNU/Linux
Platform. I think these can be used for people who are migrating from
Windows world!!!

http://bitwiser.org/~nwa/pub/alternatives/

http://in.redhat.com/AppComparisonList.php3

> 3.    I don’t know the names of the basic applications under linux
> Like I know that in windows browser is “internet explorer” or
> “netscape”…….i know that to play songs I can use “winamp” or
> “media-player”…….. Can u help me by giving some basic information about
> these little general utilities

i also strongly recommend you go pick up a rs 200 odd book on gnulinux. this
is an important and handy reference. finally, check out tldp.org

:-)
LL