hi,

frankly your question is too vague...
quite like: "i wish to fly... what should i take a glider or the
concorde...?"

(although the comparisons are not corresponding to the ones you
stated..)
i'd rather say that you are asking the wrong question.
(traditional) unix systems are generally(!) for a server end... eg.
Solaris, Sco-unix... etc..
linux on the other hand is a variant of unix... but (also) tilted
towards the desktop side...

in short: if you wish to do learning, on the home front, i'd rather say
you need not think,and go straight for linux, especially if your
background in such systems is minimal...

for cds you could contact people on the list itself..
that has lots of docs to read. (after installation that is..)
or visit innumerable sites on the net e.g. www.tldp.org ,
www.linuxnewbie.org etc...

but again, your question is bit too vague for anyone to answer..
and generally (and this goes for most of the new learners) its adviced
that in a list like this (or any other such list) newbies are more than
welcome, but a little effort on their side is very very appreciated...

well: if you ask whether to take Air-India or Sahara from delhi to
timbuktu, i think you'd get a lot more answers..!!
in english what that means is that a simple "unix vs linux" or a simple
"linux learn introduction" on google helps quite a bit... atleast in the
initial decision making...

:-)

happy learning.
keep smiling