On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 07:04, Puneet thus hollered from the rooftop:

> Hi all !!!!!! I am just a beginner in Linux environment.Pleas tell me how can
> i upgrade my kernel and install patches that are released by redhat and others.
> Currently I am using RHL 9.0........

If you are using RedHat and you have an available internet connection to
the PC the easiest way to upgrade is to use up2date. "man up2date" will
give you much more help on this. The relevant website is
http://rhn.redhat.com

I usually use up2date for upgrading everything from the RedHat site
except the kernel RPM's which I prefer to download manually and install.
Although up2date does a good job of upgrading the kernel RPM's also if
you want it to take care of it.

> and please tell me does netbsd has any advantages over it as I have
> heard that netbsd is 'Unix-Type' and is quite secure.

No flames please but IMHO OpenBSD is the more secure of the two. As to
the advantages I will let someone else take up on that have not used
NetBSD that much.

> One more thing........how can I disable the ping and ICMP requests to
> my system as I am working in a LAN environment and my PC has to face a lot of
> scanning related to open ports and security holes.

Try this
        echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all

Alternatively

        sysctl -w net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all=1

The above 2 methods are temporary. That is on reboot the setting will be
removed. So to make this permanent either you can put any one of the
above 2 lines in one of your rc files e.g /etc/rc.d/rc.local or
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit just be careful that you put this line after the
proc file system has been mounted.

Or the best way is to add the following line in /etc/sysctl.conf

        #Stops ICMP replies from this PC.

        net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all = 1

To undo the above setting just substitute 0 in place of 1 in the above
places.

--
Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be filled
but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739