Raj Mathur wrote:
<snip>
Respected Sir/Madam ,

Eesh! You think Raju is *respected*?? Actually, you think Raju is Sir/Madam...

I am a student of final year computer engg. .

I think computer engg. has many years to go. Don't think that this is the final year for computer engg.

I am doing my project in linux o.s. .I am giving you
details about the project .Please , let me know how
can I begin my project . What are the things that I
should study.
PROJECT:
We have a cyber lab in our college where the
students have access to the internet.All of these
machines are using windows-98 o.s..
Our job is to make a server in linux which will
have control over all these machines.Server should
have firewall in it , so as to restrict some of the
websites.It should also have the information about
every user that have been logged on to the machine in
cyber lab.

I think that a proxy like Squid is what you are looking for here. You can set up ACLs on various paramaters, including URLs, users, heck - even time of day. So porn can be allowed from 5PM onwards...

Administrator should be able to monitor every action
of the user of any machine of the lab.

Umm..even when they sractch themsevles. Or should the monitoring be limited to just theit on-screen activities?

He should be
able to produce screen of any user on his terminal &
thus be able to see what that particular user is
doing.

As Robins mentioned, VNC.

If the administrator has seen that some user has
opened some website which is not in the list of
restricted website of firewall but still its
objectionable , he should be able to add it
immediately to the list.

Also he should be able to give
a warning message to the user of that terminal & if he
don't stops he should be able to turn off his terminal.

Jabber for getting the messages across to the terminal.

Windoze - so with VNC, [s]he simply goes to Start button and, umm..stops the machine.

Administrator should be able to do all this just by
sitting on the server machine.

For that, [s]he would have to study Zen Bhuddism. I mean, I don't think [s]he can do all this, by just *sitting* on the server machine - sitting on the server machine might damage it. [S]he would, most probably have to sit on a chair and use the server machine and the softwares mentioned above.

Please , let me know suggestions from you.

Squid, VNC, Jabber...and Zen Bhuddhism.

Thanking You!!

Welcoming you...

Varun Varma,