I don't think you can daemonize a Java application natively. When you say daemonize a Java application, what you mean is daemonizing the JVM and there is no way to do that except by wrapping it in a separate application, which daemonizes itself before it spawns the JVM process.
Now there may be other tricks like calling a native OS facility from within your java app and causing the current process to detach from a controlling terminal but I won;t try going there.

That is how I understand this and I may be wrong :)

As for the second question, GCJ can supposedly compile to native code, but I never tried it.
-Achal