From: Tarun Upadhyay [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sat 10/11/2003 10:26 AM
To: 'The Linux-Delhi mailing list'
Subject: RE: [ilugd] Postgres vs oracle

        Gupreet,
                It is a real application. It's an OLTP appliaction for banking and
        credit card industry. From a concurrency point of view, I expect about 200
        connections to the database in the worst case and a fifth of that on the
        average.
                however, if postgres cannot handle that kind of user connections;
        that is fine too. I just need to know the number it can handle and then I
        will find a way of dividing the data over 2 or more servers such that each
        gets lesser load.

        A little off-topic, but
                A little research on the web mentions that Postgres Query optimizer
        is weak and in general one should optimize the queries by hand (we have to
        do the same for oracle anyway. For that kind of database size, I do not
        trust the query optimizer any way). Is that true?