From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gurpreet Singh Sachdeva
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 2:10 AM
To: The Linux-Delhi mailing list; The Linux-Delhi mailing list
Subject: RE: [ilugd] Postgres vs oracle

 Correct!

To be more precise:

The standard form of VACUUM is best used with the goal of maintaining a
fairly level steady-state usage of disk space. The standard form finds old
tuples and makes their space available for re-use within the table, but it
does not try very hard to shorten the table file and return disk space to
the operating system. If you need to return disk space to the operating
system you can use VACUUM FULL --- but what's the point of releasing disk
space that will only have to be allocated again soon? Moderately frequent
standard VACUUMs are a better approach than infrequent VACUUM FULLs for
maintaining heavily-updated tables.

Recommended practice for most sites is to schedule a database-wide VACUUM
once a day at a lowusage time of day, supplemented by more frequent
vacuuming of heavily-updated tables if necessary. (If you have multiple
databases in an installation, don't forget to vacuum each one; the vacuumdb
script may be helpful.) Use plain VACUUM, not VACUUM FULL, for routine
vacuuming for space recovery.

VACUUM FULL is recommended for cases where you know you have deleted the
majority of tuples in a table, so that the steady-state size of the table
can be shrunk substantially with VACUUM FULL's more aggressive approach.

If you have a table whose contents are deleted completely every so often,
consider doing it with TRUNCATE rather than using DELETE followed by VACUUM.

Gurpreet Singh Sachdeva