On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 14:55, Anupam Jain wrote:

> I have a COMPAQ Presario computer at home that came with Win2k in the
> form of Compaq Quickrestore CDs. Now when installing windows, it doesn't
> give you any choices and simply creates a huge windows partition. Since
> everyone at home uses Windows except me, I couldn't just remove windows
> and install Linux on it.

that's terrible

> So what I did was fill up that partition with 10 Gigs of data (copied
> all my Mandrake n RHL CDs to it :-)) and make a user backup which
> creates a new partition (slightly smaller than the size of the data..
> probably because of compression.) and backs up all the data to it. I
> interrupted the actual data copying process (AFTER it had created the
> partition), booted with Mandrake 9.0 cd, formatted the newly formed
> partition and installed Linux on it :-)

that's a really neat trick. kudos!
meanwhile, until we have a better process, or there exists an
alternative we don't know about, let me say rather categorically that it
appears compaq limits the choice of its customer in the above scenario.
compaq seems to be unfriendly to linux.

therefore, i will never recommend a compaq desktop of the above nature,
to these types of markets.

it is about time vendors understood that the customer is king.

i think this is a great time to set up a linux-friendly vendor list on
the linux-delhi site. people write in with their experiences with
products, services, compatibility issues, with brands and vendors
(atleast in delhi). naturally, over time, people will start referring to
this list to buy their products.

just checked the linux-delhi site. i feel this needs to be its own page,
as a table, in the following order:
1) brand 2) product type 3) model no. 4) vendor(optional) 5)
compatibility (works, workaround, incompatible) 6) description 7)
submitted by 8) date

a little search tool could sort by any one of these fields.

i know i could pump in a lot of information that would be useful to
people about various kind of printers, modems, motherboards, etc.

sure, the linux hardware compatibility guide exists, but this is to do
with stuff that we face here.

what do you guys say?

??
LL