Hi...

I have a solution to it... what we have to do is just to keep a backup of the
MBR of your system... so that when ever you need to reinstall the XP or 98
you can get your MBR back without any of the hassles...

you can do it using following commands...

$dd if=/dev/hda of=name_of_backup_file bs=512 count=1

...by above command you can keep a backup copy of your MBR which is of 512
bytes and resides on the 1 block, that's why I gave block size (bs) 512 and
count 1... you may better keep it in a good floppy...

In case you need to recover your partition table or any mishapping happens
with your MBR you can always revert it back to the old one by booting your
system in Linux Rescue mode and running following command...

$dd if=name_of_backup_file of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

don't forget to put bs=512 and count=1 otherwise your hardisk will look like
as if it's only of only 512 bytes size..

Abu... you can run your Linux from a logical partition too... try it... the
best way of making a heterogeneous system is by keeping win98 in C:\
(Primary) drive... and then it's up to you which OS you wanna install.. you
can install XP, NT and Linux (> 7.x) any where in the hard disk... be it a
logical partition...

- Abhinav

On Thursday 04 Dec 2003 12:16 pm, Abu Muttalib wrote:
> Hi..
>
> Once I have tried to install Linux on a machine which was already running
> Win2K n WinXP. It got installed and did work. I did it by removing an
> extended partion n by making it a primary one. But the try was was
> unsuccessful as then none of Win2K or WinXP worked. It crashed dring boot
> giving some error messages.
>
> The conclusion that I drew was that both Win2k n WinXP not only keep a
> checksum not only one file system but also on the complete disk as well.
> Since when I reverted back to the prevoius partitioning layout both Win2k n
> WinXP worked without making any change any where.
>
> So I see that the situation is dark. U need to reinstall WinXP atleast
> after installing Linux or atleast making the WinXP know before hand that
> this xyz partition will contain that abc file system.
>
> Check it out. BUT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
>
> Regards,
> Abu.

Abhinav Gupta
IndiaMART InterMESH Ltd.
www.IndiaMART.com
(The Global Gateway to Indian Marketplace.)
Ph: 91-120-2543945/46/47
Cell: (91) 9811331036